It's Official...

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 0 comments
... I SUCK at baking!!! I don't know why or what happens. I am a good cook, but I can't bake to save my life. If you have been reading this blog for long, you have read several other flops in my baking adventures. Tonight I undertook the task of making Danish Puff Pastries.

They are a favorite breakfast/brunch item of mine. My Mom has made them all my life for special occasions... holidays, new neighbors, company for brunch, ect. They hold such great memories for me! They are light and puffy with yummy frosting, and a delicious, delicate almond flavor. I love them!

My woman's bible study is having a brunch potluck tomorrow morning. So, I called my Mom and got the recipe... So excited to make them and share them with my new friends.

Then tonight, I started making them. Half way through I realized I screwed up. So, frustrated, I started over. I was gonna do this right. So, I followed the directions and made the puffs. The timmer beeped to indicate they were done cooking and I went to retrieve them and noticed... they were not puffy!!! What the crap.

I do everything by the recipe, sure to be extra careful because I know I'm not a good baker and it still goes wrong. So disappointing

Well, I can make a good pie crust, a couple of cookie recipes, boxed mixes, pancakes and french toast... I guess that is just going to have to do it for me and my baking repertoire.

Well, here is the recipe for any of you who are not baking-challenged :) It really is excellent! I just can't do them justice.



Danish Puff Pastry:

½ c. butter softened
1 c. flour
2 tbsp. water
½ c. butter
1 c. water
1 tsp. almond extract
1 c. flour
3 eggs

FROSTING
¾ bag powdered sugar
½ c. butter softened
1 tsp almond extract
Enough milk to make spreadable

½ cup slivered almonds/toasted

In a bowl cut ½ cup butter into 1 cup flour. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons water and fix with fork. Divide into 2 balls. Roll out to a 12 x 3 inch strip and place on ungreased cookie sheet (both strips will fit on 1 cookie sheet).

Mix ½ cup of butter and 1 cup of water and bring to a rolling boil. Add almond extract and remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup flour immediately to help from lumping. Mix well and when it's smooth and thick, add eggs one at a time, beating again until smooth.

Divide in half and pour - spread the mixture evenly over the two strips.

Bake until topping is crisp and brown at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until browned and no moisture beads.


For frosting, blend powdered sugar, butter and almond extract with mixer until smooth (should be thick)

Frost cooled puffs and sprinkle with almond slivers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 The Flint Fam | TNB