My Joshua Jar

Monday, May 17, 2010 3 comments
A couple weeks back, I went to a Woman's Tea at my church, Canyon Hills Community Church. My friend Heather hosted a table. Which means she decorated the table, brought dishes and cups, invited people and tore everything down afterward. Basically, I showed up and found the table, which was beautifully decorated... we even got to keep the cute mugs! I sat down and got to chat with all the other lovely ladies at the table and at other tables while we all enjoyed tea and/or coffee. Then we got these HUGE gorgeous cupcakes, sang a few worship songs and got to listen to a speaker.

The speaker was Sara Taylor (sp?) from the local Christian radio station. She spoke on the topic of God's faithfulness and told us about a rock jar that she uses to help remind her of His faithfulness whenever she is in a hard place and needing encouragement. So, she has this jar that she puts rocks in and on each rock is written a word or phrase that represents something big or difficult or joyful that God has brought her through. Then, when she is going through a difficult time she can take all the rocks out and have a visual reminder of all the circumstances God has brought her through in the past and remember God's faithfulness and love. The whole idea came from Joshua 4:5-6 when God brought the Israelites through the Jordan river and and they picked up rocks from the middle of the river when the waters were parted as a reminder to themselves and future generations of what God did for them.

........................................................................................
Joshua 4:5-6
“…Go over before the ark of the Lord your God into
the middle of the Jordan. Each of you is to take up a
stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the
tribes of the Israelites, to serve as a sign among you.
In the future, when your children ask you, “What do
these stones mean?” tell them that the flow of the
Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of
the Lord. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of
the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a
memorial to the people of Israel forever.
........................................................................................

I loved the idea of having a rock jar of my own, so this past week, I rummaged around my closet and found the perfect jar! Then I printed out the verse, emellished it a little (cause' come on, it's me!) and wha-la! I have my very own rock jar. I am calling it my Joshua Jar. I already have three rocks in it. I'm sure you can guess the name that is written on one of them. The others, well, maybe some day I'll tell you about them, but right now, God is still bringing me through those.

Here's a picture of my Joshua Jar :)

3 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 The Flint Fam | TNB